background

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

To Coupon or Not to Coupon?..

We have all seen the "Crazy Coupon Lady" walking around with her accordion file filled with coupons and wondered if it was worth it. As a one income family I am always looking for ways to save money, but the show "Extreme Couponing" gives me anxiety. The thought of spending hours organizing coupons, going to the grocery store, filling numerous carts of items I don't need, and spending hours in the check-out line just doesn't sound appealing especially with a 6 month old.
This weekend I picked up a couple of Sunday papers trying to find a happy medium.  Honestly, I didn't do so well.  Part of it was due to the fact that my husband decided to  pick up all of his personal care items (shaving cream, razors, etc.) BEFORE I had picked up the Sunday paper. The best coupons I found were for, you guessed it, personal care items.. erghhh.. The coupons I did find combined with store specials saved me about five dollars, not near as exciting as the 80% savings you see on "Extreme Couponing" but every little bit helps. I think with a little more organization I can really make it work for me.
So here's my game plan.. Before going to the grocery store I will check the local ads to see what deals the stores are running on meats (preferably organic) and from there I will develop a menu for the next two weeks. Then I will make up a grocery list of all the things I need for the next two weeks. On Sunday I will get a couple of Sunday papers and try to match coupons to items I need. (I won't be building a stockpile unless there is a really great deal or free offer) Mondays will be grocery shopping days.. It will take a little more effort, but if I can save money it's totally worth it..
Do you coupon? any ideas/suggestions? Have you had success?

1 comment:

  1. i've tried couponing. it's pretty fun if you get the right deals. i do okay but my mom is the dang queen and she doesn't even try! the store she goes to doubles coupons and she has a store discount card and she always pairs coupons with things on sale so she saves a ton without even trying hard! it's so crazy. so i have been trying to go shopping with her. but i recommend just clipping the coupons for things you actually use and then looking through sale circulars for the best deals that week. i don't go overboard searching but a little effort goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete